Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Food For Thought

There may be a time for everything... I just wish I could find time.
Life's been busy but I'm still here.

Last night I sat down and read "Then Sings My Soul" (as my diligent husband studied his course material that we've now received, praise the Lord). This is a book of hymns and their origins. It seems that after reading a few of my favorites, the songs are put into a completely different light. Those hymns I liked, I now love. The author has the ability to give you the perfect details to put you right next to these wonderful men like the actual St. Patrick or Charles Wesley as they discover these "thoughts and praises", now our beloved hymns. I closed my eyes and sang those that I read up on. God is powerful and loving and these men knew it. It's just beautiful.

I tend to read too many books at one period of time. It's a bad habit, but my mind can comprehend so I don't try to explain myself to people anymore. Currently the list includes these:
Then Sings My Soul (Robert J. Morgan)
Helen Keller: The Story of My Life
That None Should Perish (Ed Silvoso)
Basic Discipleship (Floyd McClung)
True Believer (Nicholas Sparks)

I didn't realize Helen Keller didn't loose her sight until after she was 19 months old. In her story she tells of how she was learning the word "water" and knew what trees and flowers looked like. The colors, smells, sights and sounds were depicted more beautiful then I could ever tell you - and I'm not blind and deaf. Something to think about huh? Makes me realize I"m taking for granted some of the beauty God has put on this earth. Sara Groves sings a song title "Maybe There's A Loving God". In it a verse says this: "maybe this was made for me, for lying on my back in the middle of a field, maybe that's a selfish thought, but maybe there's a loving God." Perhaps, just perhaps these beautiful leaves, the flowers, the sunsets or rainbows are just part of God giving His kids some beauty. Why not.

Heather Dowling at 12:27 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 10:26 PM Blogger Kat said...

I am currently on my mysteries faze along with the church books we are reading. Can't get enough Agatha Christie man.......or should I say woman.....

 
at 8:54 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

He comes home friday night.... hopefully:-) miss you.

 
at 10:54 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to your blog this morning and read your comments, thinking - wow I haven't commented on Heather's site! Isn't that funny.
anyway, I've been knitting like crazy trying to get some progress done on my scarf. I'm a long way from finishing!

 
at 12:53 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! You'd better see my scarf before you ask me to make one for you! I'm definately a beginner.

 

Post a Comment