Monday, November 14, 2005

Generation X

I will live to worship
I will live to give you praise
I will live a child in awe of you

This worship song from the Generation Youth Conference I just returned from is still echoing in my heart this afternoon.

With lifted hands and hearts surrendered to the Lord I worshipped with some of the most abandoned young adults this weekend. Watching miracles happen before my eyes and teenagers vow to live a life holy and pleasing to the Lord, surrendering their selfish desires and running toward something greater than any relationship could give them was completely healing to my heart. A pastor spoke of a young man who's earthly life ended all to quickly. Nathaniel was that boy's name but the only thing I heard was Christopher as the pastor spoke of the young man's fervency for the Lord and the young men and women that are making commitments to take up "Nathaniel's" torch. I saw young man who reminded me of him this weekend and I wept. But it wasn't sadness anymore. I was rejoicing. Rejoicing in knowing my friend is with the most wonderful Lord and Saviour, rejoicing watching these young men who are heartily serving their Creator - just as my friend did. It was beautiful.

Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell... apparently my body isn't made to eat from these joints. I was a zombie during & after church yesterday with a tipsy turvey stomach and a nasty sinus cold. Ah, the joys of serving my husband as he serves as a youth pastor.

I love spending time with my husband. He played monopoly with me last night while I was on the coach for the evening. He's just wonderful. He let me be a kid again during that game - I won. Even more so, I love our talks. His passion for Christ is what makes me love him so much. As we talked about the future last night, my heart soared. Excitement filled my veins knowing the mighty things R.Jay and I will be doing for the Lord. Is it just me or do you ever get just completely thrilled when you think of running with complete abandonment for the Lord and doing His will no matter what it costs?!?!

Wow, this was a long post. I suppose I should finish.

Heather Dowling at 12:44 PM

7comments

7 Comments

at 2:01 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

good stuff. I knew you would have a great time. The 30-hr. famine was awesome. Josh spent the whole day with them on Saturday, chatting, prayer walking, studying and praying. They all seemed to enjoy it. We won't know the total of money raised until Wednesday.
I didn't know you didn't like talking on the phone. We've had some pretty long talks you had to endure! I'll keep it brief next time.

 
at 2:49 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Hi I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
at 3:46 PM Blogger Kat said...

Your post brings tears to my eyes, not only for the teenagers that I see that love the Lord so much, but for your friend. I thought of you when Pastor Jude (I think) was speaking of that boy. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to cause you any pain by bringing it up if you weren't thinking about it. But you are right, Chris is with the Lord, and his sorrow and tears have been washed away.

 
at 9:08 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

This is where I got my template, it was really easy cause I just copied and pasted the code.

http://blogger-templates.blogspot.com

Have you talked to mom about Thanksgiving?? :-)

 
at 10:41 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Heather, you know i think it's funny and cool at the same time that you call me by my first name, cuz like no one else does, i can't wait til friday night for youth group, umm there was somethin else i was gonna say, but i can't remember, but newho, if it comes to me i'll call u er somethin well newho g2g, i'm in school

 
at 1:13 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mitfor Years is a series of books written by Jan Karon about a small-town pastor of a demonomational church (he's called a priest in the books but its all good) in the mountains of North Carolina. There are 8 books (I think) and they follow him through from his mid-50's through 70. I never thoughtI would like them but they are fantastic. You should totally read them.
As for party lite, I want to do it but I feel bad about asking you to do all that traveling. I'll talk to Josh more tonight and let you know soon.

 
at 1:40 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should at least get the first Mitford books before you decide we are crazy. It tells the story of his life as a pastor and a bachelor, that is until he takes in an orphan teenager and a beautiful single woman his age moves in next door.
Its very cute, I promise you.
Go to your library and get the first Mitford book. Jan Karon. The Mitford Years. They are good.

 

Post a Comment