Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The hum of our car was peaceful and I opened my eyes only a moment to hear my husband say "I think we have a problem". The Washington Monument was towering over me as a lifted my head up to look out the car window. Yes, wrong turn. Our simple 10-11 hour surprise drive to North Carolina to visit my family turned into a 14-15 hour drive. All was well we arrived safely and with some fun stories and another check off my list of places to go before the Lord takes me home. Three young Guevara's were screaming and crying in joy at about 2:30pm on Saturday afternoon. I'm surprise an earthquake didn't erupt. We hugged and cried and hugged some more. We showered up and spent the afternoon sipping coffee in 60 degree weather on my parent's back deck... soaking in the moment. Which became just that, a moment... only to return to frigid tempatures that take your breath away last night.
Nonetheless, we enjoyed our time in my parent's peaceful community in North Carolina. New Year's Day we hiked and played out doors with sun shining each moment and warm weather covering me like a big blanket. So nice. We ate outside for lunch at a restaurant. Yes, outside... unbelievably! Each time I walked outside of a store I braced myself for cold winds and biting chills, but to my surprise each time I was able to relax my tense shoulders and breath deep. Yes, I miss it. How could you tell?
We were there for Gina and Samuel's first day at their new Christian School. Very fun. I'm a very proud big sister. Is it really possible that they've grown this much since Thanksgiving. There must be an explanation for this maddness! Lots of giggles and lots of tickles and "please don't leaves" were shared. I love siblings. They're fun.
It was a good start to a brand new year. A new year full of surprises and adventures to be shared with new friends and a new family. R.Jay and I are rapidly approaching 1 year of marriage. How could it have already been 1 year? This life of change doesn't give you a moment to breath sometimes. But we try to savor each moment and each memory the best we can.
Now... suitcases need to be unpacked, the car needs to be cleaned, clothes washed and dried, meals prepared, house to clean, youth ministry schedules... the list goes on and I put my faith, hope, trust and lets not forget to add strength in the Lord. For he is my rock, and all other ground is sinking sand. I stand strong in Him.

Pictures from North Carolina.

Heather Dowling at 12:44 PM

10comments

10 Comments

at 1:53 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

I'm glad you are home safely!!! How was the trip, are you exhasted today? Thank you again for letting us take your car there. We had a good time. I hope you did too....
I've already begun to think of when our next DePuy and Dowling, adventure will be.....

I love you

 
at 2:13 PM Blogger Kat said...

Glad your home safe and had some time of refreshment with the family. The pix are great!!

 
at 10:00 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Sorry I didn't call you last night, I was really out of it yesterday.... :-) How is your day?

 
at 7:53 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I got the note... It just about made me cry...

 
at 11:45 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Hi

 
at 2:07 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

So how is life?

 
at 3:13 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Oh it is so pretty!! did you do it?

 
at 5:29 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just checked your page in Firefox and internet Explorer and it looks fine in both web browsers. So... I sorta don't know what you mean about adding people on the left...
let me know

 
at 9:27 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem! Glad you like it. I designed it with you in mind - maily because its pink!

I am going to drop off the Partylite stuff today. Didn't know if you had to call her or anything.
I miss you friend. Its been awhile since we've chatted about something more important than templates and candles. I hope we can work something out to see each other soon.

 
at 1:21 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what part of NC were you in??

 

Post a Comment