Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Humility

When I'm weak
You make me strong
When I'm blind
You shine Your light on me
'Cause I'll never get by, living on my own ability

How refreshing to know You don't need me
How amazing to find that You want me
So I'll stand on Your truth and fight with Your strength
Until You bring the victory
By the power of Christ in me

To reach out with Your hands
To learn through Your eyes
To love with the love of a Saviour
To feel with Your heart
To think with Your mind...

I'd give my last breath for Your glory.


Just a bit of what my heart sings today. Thank you Casting Crowns for writing a piece of music much more eloquently (and with much more talent) than I could and still express my heart.

I'm home today. Home is great, a wonderful haven. Although, I look around and see all the chores that must be done and it frustrates me as I lay on the couch not feeling well. I despise being sick. But most of all I despise not being able to accomplish much in my day. I need the rest I know, so I'll shut my eyes and make the mess disappear for today. Perhaps I'll even get to the books my hands have been trying to grasp onto in these last few weeks of busyness. There's a brand new Smith Wigglesworth book calling my name from our dining room book shelf... along with at least three half finished others.

While also sick on the couch last night I read a bit from yet another book I'm reading and these few lines caught my attention:
"Christian service done for God may satisfy the soul for a period of time, but there comes a moment when the dry ground of the human spirit cries out for more than it has experienced before. Our tendency is to substitute form for reality, action for relationship and busyness for communion. Humility says that we must no longer substitue doing for being or religious fervor for spiritual reality. Humility drives us past religion-whether it be pageant, pilgrimage or penance. All of these can speak about God, but no religious form or symbol in the end can substitute for a personal encounter with the living God."

Ephesians 2:22 And in Him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

I've added just a few more wedding photos, for now.

Heather Dowling at 10:35 AM

10comments

10 Comments

at 11:15 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

I love reading your blogs, full of such encouragement and meaning to my soul. I love you dearly and I hope you feel better. You will be in my prayers. Take the time to rest and listen to God today, maybe that is what He is requiring of you today :-)

Love...
Your Big sister ;-)

 
at 1:26 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have internet at home now?

Sorry you aren't feeling well. But glad that you have a day at home!

 
at 9:43 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got your email, thanks :)
I have to wait till March is a bit closer, its hard to predict what my schedule will look like with my nursing studies, homework, etc. this far in advance.

Keep me posted.

Elizabeth

 
at 10:54 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

So far we only have something going on that friday on the 17th, but yes I get the 20th off and Saturday, Sun. and Mon. look free so far :-)

 
at 3:34 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Elizabeth: I'm not really sure what March 4th holds. Daniel rarely (never?!) plans things that far in advance, so I have no clue if the evening is free or not. When we get closer, I'll let you know.

And as far as the OB/GYN goes, I didn't really do a normal "search" this last time around. I was already almost done with my second trimester by the time we moved, so I just had to take a doctor that was available, really. My first choices weren't accepting new patients delivering in Jan because they were booked.

Next time around I hope to do some more research--maybe even look at doctors beyond the CPH. I'm willing to drive to Ogdensburg or Massena if it means finding someone I really, really like.

I liked Dr. McCloy, but would be even happier to find someone more like a midwife. Her lack of presence during my labor seemed to contribute to its length (I was fully dilated for quite some time, most likely, before any of us realized), and I just missed the help the midwives provided during the laboring.

At any rate, you make a list of things that are important to you. Mine would be something like this:

1. non-invasive approach to l&d
2. doesn't require a lot of prenatal tests
3. pro-life
4. "on site" during labor

etc.

and then you sit down and talk with the doctor about these things. Not only does that give you an opportunity to hear the answers, but it lets you discover whether or not you like their personality, their methods of dealing with people, etc.

Hope that answers your questions!

 
at 7:48 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey friend.
I was just thinking that we need to get together soon. I'm missing our occational chats on your drive home from work. Maybe we can find a free weekend in Feb. or if you and R.Jay feel like driving into Canton one evening - let me know and we can have dinner together. I miss my only friend! ;-)

 
at 8:17 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a Valentines Banquet on Feb 10th and a Winter BBQ on Feb. 20- somthing. The last weekend of Feb. I think, on a Sunday after church.
Let me know when your work schedule is changing - we will have a celebratory dinner at my house! We are availible most weeknights, so just give me a little notice and come on over!

 
at 11:51 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Hey do you have any idea what is going on with our family? Is everything ok? :-( Miss you. Write me.

 
at 12:19 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Ooo yeah that would be fun. I don't think I have anything going on that day. I'm not sure about President's weekend yet I haven't talk to Joe yet. I'll let you know

Love ya

Yeah I got letters by the way.

 
at 12:43 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same about our lack of communication. We were doing so well for awhile there - hanging out, our husbands get along well, chatting on the phone - and then the holidays hit! Hopefully with spring coming we will be able to seume our get-togethers!
I really do miss you, my dear friend. Wish you lived closer!

 

Post a Comment