Wednesday, January 11, 2006

In Each Storm

In a season of lack I will praise You.
In sickness I will praise You.
In a moment of sorrow I will praise You.
In a time of question I will praise You.
In a season of lonliness I will praise You.
When things don't go exactly as I planned...
When winds blow and waves crash against my fleeting life...
When my flesh desires to complain or give up...
I will praise You.

My motives for giving glory to the Lord should reflect the character of Christ that is being perfected in me with each new day. I have a lovely home, a wonderful husband, beautiful belongings... but Jesus never said material wealth was the only sign of blessing. The Lord is my blessing and continues to be. No matter what I have or don't have, no matter where I am or where I am not... He deserves my praise just because of who He is. I'm learning a lesson that won't be soon forgotten - my ways are not always his ways. The most beautiful piece of this thought is that it's alright. It's alright because Christ is perfect and I am not. It's alright because He has my best interest in mind. It's alright because His guiding is exactly where I need to be. I'm encouraged today to praise the God who gave His perfect life for Heather Dowling even when it would seem to my flesh that there wouldn't be anything to praise Him for. I refuse to be robbed any longer.

When in North Carolina the worship leader at my parents church chose to sing "Trading My Sorrows". My first thought when that bass started in was "isn't this a bit old and overplayed- c'mon people". I was bouncing to this song years ago with Grace Levendusky by my side jumping all the way at each of her daddy's concerts. Yet, in the midst of that upbeat song was a young woman with her hands raised and tears streaming down her face. All because the truth was clear. I have traded my sorrows, my shame, my sickness, and my pain in exchange for his joy. I'm quickly learning that real joy comes when you can praise him in the midst of each storm.

I'm trading my sorrows. I'm trading my shame. I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord.
I'm trading my sickness. I'm trading my pain. I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord.
Yes Lord...


I pray these words become real to all who read this.

Heather Dowling at 12:16 PM

10comments

10 Comments

at 2:33 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

I can't wait until Sunday!!!!!!!

 
at 4:18 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Yeah I just spent like an hour on the internet looking at the site.... Yeah I'm weird. You changed your picture.... YEAY!!!

I love you

 
at 6:08 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,

I've been meaning to be in touch, just see how you are. I'm glad to my name in your links. My page doesn't have any, but know that you're one of my regulars!

Hope all is well, really really well, with you guys. Lord bless you!

 
at 8:13 AM Blogger Kat said...

I love that song, it is a bit overplayed, but when you praise the Lord that's all that matters, I agree. Keep up the faith!!!

 
at 11:56 AM Blogger Kat said...

I didn't get a message?? When??

 
at 2:14 PM Blogger Kat said...

Sorry!!! I didn't have a chance to check the machine, things weren't good yesterday, not so hot today either!!! Call me if you want!!!

 
at 12:28 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

So whatcha up to this weekend?

 
at 2:01 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Not much. Hopefully somethin.We just have a church to visit on Sunday. I was really excited because I got paid today. And then out car broke down, really bad, we are getting it back today but 487 dollars later. Which is like 3/4ths of my pay check. So yeay, kinda bummed.

 
at 2:51 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

How can I come visit you when I have no $..... You come visit me ;-)

 
at 2:56 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a long time since we've hung out - was the Partylite party the last time?

Its too bad you are busy this weekend. We are free tomorrow and our youth group is doing the service at church on Sunday. Maybe in the beginning of February we will be able to get together.

 

Post a Comment