Thursday, February 16, 2006

thoughts

loving:
-my valentines gift from my husband
-a phone call monday night from a dear friend in Rochester
-a phone call tonight from a dear friend in Canton
-that the weekend is soon upon us
-that the solitary consignment shop is just a few steps from my door at work (great bargains on great clothes... thank you Lord)
-that my hair is growing out ( i think i'm going long again )
-that i had time tonight to add anniversary trip pictures into a photo album (usually i'm months behind with this)
-the young girls growing up in our church - how precious!
-Psalm 40
-that God knows exactly what I need and when I need it, especially when I think the opposite

not loving quite so much:
-this weather. it isn't supposed to rain in february. i hate freezing rain
-my lack of time with the Lord these days. i hate busyness.
-an unhappy sister in North Carolina
-my ladies get-together being delayed (it will happen - i promise!)
-that the piano in our home office is beckoning me everday as I head of to work in Watertown (along with several other "to do"s in our home and at church)


Philippians 3:13 "Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead"

Pslam 40:3&5 "He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. Many O Lord, my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us. No one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Titus 2:3-5 "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."

On Sunday walking into church I'm usually greeted by my "buddy" as we've coined the term for our relationship. She's a 5 year old named Megan with long blond girls and a contagious smile. Then Rachel, not much difference in age then Megan, sqeezes her way through mom, dad, and five siblings to shyly say "hi heather" in the sweetest voice you've ever heard and begin to tell me the latest adventure in homeschooling she's conquered. Last week it was counting in Spanish. These girls bring such joy along with several other little ones in our church. Each Sunday as these girls run to me with stories and wait to hear the latest compliment on their pretty dresses I'm reminded of Titus chapter 2. These little ladies watch my every move. The way I speak with other adults, the way I speak with their other little friends. They watch the way I worship. They even watch the way I walked down the isle on my wedding day. I remember Rachel's mother telling me shortly after R.Jay and I returned from our honeymoon how Rachel would recruit her little brother to play "R.Jay" and she would play "Heather" and would then rehearse "the wedding of R.Jay and Heather" in their living room. I've also heard they play "R.Jay and Heather worshipping". Such stories are fun and filled with giggles, but utimately they carry such a responsibility. A responsibility that I am hungry to grasp onto. In Titus chapter 2 we're encouraged to be a "role model" to a generation coming behind us. Though Megan and Rachel, and many others may be small now... the way I represent Jesus will be reflected in their eyes always. Do I bless these girls in their fairytale minds? Do I encourage their learning in the Word? Do I show God's glory in each conversation, each gesture, each smile? Does the way I dress encourage these little hungry minds to strive towards godliness? When they're 14 what will they say about me? Will they still see Christ's glory shining off of me? Will I have encouraged them in every way possible, inside or outside of church, to live a life wholeheartedly after Christ? Did I show them what true love is and the benefit of a godly husband? Did I show them submission to the husband God has provided me? So many questions! It isn't just Rachel and Megan... it's hundreds if not thousands of little eyes on us each day. Are we striving towards holiness, so in turn, they will?

Father, help me to walk in your holiness each day. Help me, help us all, to be a light into a generation coming behind us. Carry me. So they will all see it's you, and not me.

Heather Dowling at 9:26 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 2:21 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Oh yeah for Heather she is collecting them too. I knew you would love them. :-) Great Valentine ;-)

 
at 2:38 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was nice to chat last night. we will have to do it again soon!

 
at 6:56 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you are done working, you'll have to spend a day here and we'llmake bagels. Its not that difficult, just time consuming. I also have a great recipe for the fancy dessert we served at the Valentine's dinner.
do you have IM? we could chat easier than talking on the phone. thw whole kids screaming thing, ya know?! like right now.

 
at 8:10 PM Blogger Kat said...

My mom has that figure thingy...they are cute...getting popular now I suppose!!! Rjay is sweet!!

 

Post a Comment