Friday, February 10, 2006

To Jesus

There is an applie pie and lots of pink and cocoa colored sugar cookies lining my kitchen counters this morning. Baking has always been some sort of "release" for me and last night I needed the comfort. The quiet moments when it's just me rolling cookie dough or slicing apples is when I learn to listen to Christ's direction and release some struggles, fears, or anxieties in the silence of my mind. No talking. No people. Just me and God and some yummy goods. Now, our youth group will reap the benefits of me having the baking itch last night.

Why as human beings do we find it hard to hand over our lives completely to Christ? Despite the times we have learned to hand them over before, we continue to find ways to "fix" situations, problems, and trials all on our own. Don't we understand by now that Christ has allowed these trials to bring us closer to Him. Don't we see His heart is to draw us near to Him? Don't we feel His sadness as we once again add another rung to our ladder of futile attempts. Why do we allow another year of bitterness or depression sink in instead of realizing the potential and hope this trial has to offer. As my pastor says... "Don't waste a good hardship." It seems he is just waiting for me to realize this is silly, He is all I need. My busyness is no excuse, but it is a problem. Things need to change. I need more time with the Lord.

A great conversation with my husband and this song brought the truest sense of what we all need to do today:

Weak and wounded sinner
Lost and left to die
O, raise your head, for love is passing by
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus and live!

Now your burden's lifted
And carried far away
And precious blood has washed away the stain, so
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus and live!

And like a newborn baby
Don't be afraid to crawl
And remember when you walk
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!

Sometimes the way is lonely
And steep and filled with pain
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain, then
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus and live!

O, and when the love spills over
And music fills the night
And when you can't contain your joy inside, then
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus and live!

And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live...

Heather Dowling at 11:39 AM

9comments

9 Comments

at 8:12 AM Blogger Kat said...

The cookies were good, I had two....not good, lol!! I hope all is well with you and your having a blessed day!!!

 
at 10:55 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our family misses you lots, too! I love your webpage. It's so pretty! I wish I could have had one of those cookies! I think we'll make some today! Happy Valentine's Day!

 
at 10:56 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s.
I did my address incorrectly...

 
at 4:04 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Amen My sister. I miss you alot

me :-)

 
at 4:04 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Oh wait so what are you doing Monday Feb. 20th? Can we get together?

 
at 7:27 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still here friend. If you every want to call me, I'm usually here. There just isn't much to write about. guess I've got some blah's to work out before I can write something witty and interesting. I was really looking forward to having the ladies meeting on March 4, so I hope you reschedule soon.
how is work going?

 
at 8:56 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Hey lady,
The doctors said that I was ok, Praise the Lord! :-) Sunday night I have Olympians so we wouldn't be able to come up Sunday. Sorry. I guess another time. :-(
At this point I don't have any other Saturday's in March. Sorry. You can still have it though, I'll just try to make your next one :-)

I love and miss you terribly Feather*

Love me

 
at 5:07 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments. I always feel badly that I'm so much worse about commenting on others' sites than they are on mine...

If you're ever in the area, do stop by! I'd love for you to see my house and meet Jack. And the kids ALWAYS love visitors!

 
at 2:05 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be around tonight, so call if you have time. I'd love to chat - as usual! My granola isn't the best. I'm looking for a good recipe for granola bars, rather than just the crumbly munchy stuff. I'll let you know if I find anything good!

 

Post a Comment