Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Blown Away

Over the course of the last three days our lovely adirondack scene has been ravaged by frigtening wind gusts, leaving toppled trees and scattered debris over the roads and throughout the once peaceful woody backdrop. Last night I lay in bed feeling my little home shudder in the wind and listening to such a forceful howl through my windows. I was reminded of the disciples fear in Matthew chapter 8 as waves crashed against their boat and wind wailed all around them. Jesus recognized their fear as a lack of faith. And we all know the story, the disciples were amazed that "even the wind and waves obey" what the Lord commanded. I once heard a pastor speak of fear and ask the congregation why on earth would we allow fear into our lives if we have completely submitted our lives to Christ? Why would we ever fear something of this world, even death, when we have such a hope? The unknown is frightening. I lie away at night thinking about all the things I don't know until some sort of fear grips at my stomach. This blustery wind has got my noggin' thinking though. I'm sure victims of Hurricane Katrina can agree that wind is terrifying at times. Something so invisible, yet so destructive...

"The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:8

We have such a promise. Such a hope. If Christ is in this wind, I want to be in the center of the storm.

You rebuke the wind and the waves
Once again I find I'm amazed at the power of your will
Because I'm a child of little faith
I feel the wind and forget your grace
And you say, "Peace Be Still."

There on the storm I am learning to let go
The white wave's high, it's crashing o'er the deck
And I don't know where I go
Where are you Lord, is my ship going down?
The mast is gone so throw the anchor
Should I jump and try to swim to land?

There on the storm, teach me God to understand
Of the Will that I just cannot control
There may I see all you love protecting me
I thank you Lord, you are the calmer of the storm.

Heather Dowling at 10:06 AM

10comments

10 Comments

at 2:40 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love all your quotes and lyrics you post. they are all so good.

 
at 3:26 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

It takes a little over an hour to get to Binghamton from Syracuse. So if I was picked up at the church where the seminar is being held right at 5 we would probably have about 45 min to get ourselves seated before it starts. Is that enough time? So are you working anymore?

 
at 11:49 PM Blogger Kat said...

Either my house is really sound proof or I was really tired, because I didn't hear a thing;)

 
at 10:16 AM Blogger Kat said...

I didn't hear the wind storm you were talking about. I must have been sleepy!!!

 
at 11:26 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

i put the answers on Kathy's blog. You are close. Read my comenton her blog and you will see what i mean.

 
at 1:08 PM Blogger Kat said...

Actually I know about the wind, etc. during the day, I just slept soundly through the night, didn't hear it at all, my house must be more soundproof than I thought...

 
at 9:03 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was encouraging to me because yesterday I heard some really odd noises in my house and I was starting to worry and fear...

But I thought about your post and realized that I had nothing to fear.

After careful examination I found it was only the neighbors making the noise and I was just being silly. But, thanks for the reminder to fear nothing if you're in Christ Jesus!

 
at 11:53 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

I miss my sister

 
at 12:31 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Oh no I'm sorry... What happened?

 
at 1:10 PM Blogger Kat said...

Now it's my turn to tell you to update!!!

 

Post a Comment