Wednesday, April 26, 2006

"leeking"

I think this new Dowling family has it's first tradition. This is the second spring that we've gone "leeking", as I've coined the action. Last night my husband and I hopped in the truck and drove to the middle of nowhere. Shovel in hand, my husband dug up earth and pulled out leeks (wild onions). The piles of mud and onions were tossed to me, as I plucked out the leeks and did my job of bagging them. Half an hour later and quite a bit muddy we emerged from the woods with two bag fulls of leeks. As I cut and washed them last night with mud covering my countertops and sink I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. You couldn't have paid me enough money to do something like this 4 years ago. I've now found there is something soothing about harvesting these wild onions and can't wait to have a vegetable (or flower for that matter!) garden of my very own.
As several friends and family can attest, these wild onions are simply intoxicating to the taste (especially fresh from the ground) and are well worth the mess and effort to get them. So if you join R.Jay and Heather for dinner anytime from April to June, you can most likely find I'm cooking with leeks. You can also bet you might get a dish of R.Jay's famous 'nachos with leeks'.
This tradition is fun, I hope it lasts.

Heather Dowling at 10:42 AM

2comments

2 Comments

at 11:12 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

My children(if God blesses) will forever know Aunt Heather and Uncle R Jay for there "leeks" :-)

 
at 4:08 PM Blogger Kat said...

You only put me in that list because of the other day's comment of not putting me in there right?? Just kidding....anyways...they also make some people feel rather happy if you get me.....lol

 

Post a Comment