Monday, April 24, 2006

truly grateful

I'm home. It's amazing how this tiny 3-bedroom home in the woods has become home, a haven and the place I love being the most now. Heidi and I had a fabulous time with family, laughing too much, eating too much, and shopping too much. Lots of great fun. I'll somehow manage to get our house in order a little bit more this week, and some "hopeful projects" crossed of my lists now that I'm not impulsively taking off to North Carolina or sick in bed, (as the last few weeks have found me).

You'll find me a lot these days in the books of Genesis, 1 Samuel, and Luke delighting in the faith of Sarah, Hannah, and Elizabeth. (Along with scores of other woman recorded in the new and old testaments as 'barren'.) The Father delights in His children. He knows my heart's desire because, He too, desires His children as I desire mine. He knows me all too well, more than I know myself and I really truly love that.

I've made a mental list. Discouragement is a quick and easy plot for the enemy I battle against each day, and my mental list of "things I appreciate" outweighs his plot wonderfully:
-Knowing God loves me and wants me more than I'll ever begin to fathom.
-A fantastic big sister and brother in-law that come to visit me spur of the moment and love it.
-A wonderful, REALLY wonderful friendship.
-A home, that we may not own and may not want to live in forever, but a home nonetheless. No apartments, no rent raises. We were truly blessed.
-A healthy, loving marriage that in all honestly I don't deserve, but God has chosen little me to be a help-mate for such an amazing man of God. I hope I serve God and my husband well.
-My family in North Carolina and R.Jay's family here in NY. I really couldn't have asked for better in-laws.
-Two vehicles that have never caused us problems. Very nice.
-Clothes in our closets, food in the cupboards, and my coffee pot! (Along with many other amazing things we've been blessed with along the appliance and furniture side of life.)
-The Lord's loving discipline and the promises that He has given. I really couldn't ask for more than to be a child of God. He is all I need, at every moment, in every circumstance.

For more pictures of our little North Carolina spur-of-the-moment (literally) trip check out Heidi's photos! I'll try to post up some more when I can.

Heather Dowling at 1:20 PM

6comments

6 Comments

at 2:42 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Hey! Where am I in this "appreciation list"? :-)

 
at 4:29 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Oh you are tooo funny. You didn't have to change it. But thanks, I love you tons!!! :-)

 
at 6:39 PM Blogger Kat said...

Don't worry Heidi, I am not on it either!!! Just kidding....

 
at 6:48 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! I'm on the list :)

I miss you my friend! Get on Messenger tonight so we can chat!

 
at 9:00 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Sorry I didn't call you back yesterday. Things got really busy. :-) I love you lots... so what is on the agenda today?

 
at 10:05 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was given Sheperding a Child's heart, so you can borrow it any time.

I don't know if you got my email, but Josh has the laptop at work today. I'm on lael's little computer (I'm such a dork!) so if you want to talk, give me a call. I lost your home number in the great cell phone mess we went through.

Hope to talk to you soon!

 

Post a Comment