Tuesday, May 23, 2006

a centered self

II Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."

Last Wednesday night at our small group a discussion was brought to light on just why is it that we aren't walking in one-mind, one-heart, together in power like those great men of Acts. Selfishness and pride. I'm chewing on what was shared still today. I've counted the steps of my daily routine and found I'm not utilizing the spirit of power, love, and self-discipline as I should.
I have been given a spirit of power. How incredible! The power to overcome in the midst of a battle, the power to say to that mountain "be removed", the power to heal in Jesus' name.
I have been given a spirit of love. God knew I'd need it. Do I always love the church like Christ? I'm finding the answer is 'no'. Do I love those who are unlovely inwardly and outwardly? I'm finding my answer is 'i'm trying'.
I have been given a spirit of self-discipline. Oh boy. I doubt I have to mention that I haven't attained perfection in many areas of self-control in my life. Reading. Praying. Exercising. Eating. Shopping. Fellowshipping. Cleaning. I'll stop there. I have a lot of work to do.

All in all, am I self centered? Sounds silly, but the revelation I got from that isn't. Is my self centered? Is it centered on Christ? Has my self been centered in line with Christ? Am I walking in the spirit of power, love, and self-discipline He has so generously given? In Titus I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle of gleaning from the older woman and teaching the young. Nonetheless I'm encouraged to learn and teach self-control. In 2Peter self-control is one of the fruits I should be trying to attain daily.
I've been compelled to honestly search my motives lately. In the most quiet rooms of my heart and the most quiet times of my day. Am I walking in the gifts and spirits God has poured on me, His daughter, or am I robbing my family and my church? I want to have clean hands and a pure heart before God and His children and to understand the important things He is calling us into today. I want to be used and I don't want to miss an opportunity.

This quietness in my heart that I fought against before, is now becoming a necessity. In those moments He speaks and I'm lifted up. I really love my Jesus.

Heather Dowling at 1:02 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 5:06 PM Blogger Kat said...

Good revelations!! It sounds like God is really doing something in you!!!

 
at 1:44 PM Blogger M. Young said...

It is obvious to me that God is really working in you and revealing himself to you. He is doing a work in your heart and it seems that this is a season of really pressing into God. In due time he will reward you and I know he will grant you the desires of your heart!

 
at 8:22 AM Blogger M. Young said...

Love the new look!

 
at 8:56 AM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

I love you!

 

Post a Comment