Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the quiet

Growing up our home was usually nothing less of loud music (usually produced by my Dad), kids running and playing, and company chatting. Going from a girl living in a home of busy bodies to a wife living in a home with one quiet man was, needless to say, a change. In the beginning of this new transition I invited many people over (most with kids), I made too much food for the two of us, and you could usually find music filling the rooms of this house.

Today is quiet. The lights are off. No music playing. The hum of our refridgerator and the spatter of rain on the tin roof and windows is peaceful. There was a day, not long ago, that the stillness in this house would have driven me mad. An entire day of peacefulness and no one interupting was too much for a girl from a chaotic family. No, today is quiet. Quiet in the rooms of this house. Quiet in my spirit.

Questions have ceased. Fears have been silenced. Pride has been delt with. Today my spirit is nourished by Jesus. I am learning that in silence He calms, in quiet He leads, and in stillness He heals. Though I fight for busyness and voice my mind all to quickly, I desire such a placid place. Today my God brings rest for my spirit.
Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God..."

Today I pray for the "unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit"(1Peter 3:4) to be found in me. When the whirlpool of my mind begins to churn I will vow to find the stillness. I will find Jesus. It really is as simple as this: He is all I need.

Still, let me be still
Let me be okay with the quiet in my heart
Still, I want to be still
I'm so quick to move, instead of listening to you
Shut my mouth
Crush my pride
Give me the tears of a broken life
Still

Heather Dowling at 12:30 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 1:29 PM Blogger M. Young said...

I have been learning a lot recently about this too. I have been actually writing about it as I study the word. The Lord desires us to have this quietness so that we can hear His voice. During such quiet moments, we need to focus on Him and I am so glad that you are. There will come a time when quiet times will be hard to find, but that makes them all the more beautiful!

 
at 10:39 PM Blogger Kat said...

I think you have already accomplished having a quiet and gentle spirit!!! Blessed to have you as a friend!!!

 
at 8:13 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand having to learn how to be in the quiet. There is something of the reality of our souls that can be ignored through noise and stimulation. Quiet leaves nothing but who we really are--before a holy God.

Thankfully, He's a good and gracious God. And times of quiet can be intimate and special, if we learn how to embrace them.

Hmmm... Seems like I was just learning how to embrace them before my house started filling up with little people who leave me with few moments of quiet! I've no doubt you will also be looking back at these days with great fondness for what they taught you and how you grew as a friend of His, as your life and home fill up with the clamor of small voices and the chaos of active little bodies!

 
at 11:40 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I "missed" your visit this evening. My head was throbbing and I felt fried... and I knew you'd understand if I just kept laying with my head under a pillow.

Please come again sometime!

 

Post a Comment