Sunday, December 02, 2007

Its been a hard one.

This week. I never imagined a week could last so long and be so hard. Even the small things, like our coffee pot giving up and our microwave calling it quits, hit harder. The bigger things like my Dad's phone call letting us know he's been laid off work hit even worse. The biggest of all, losing Gary, hit like a train wreck throughout our family and church. Now the pieces are being picked up and faith is being poured out of broken hearts and quivering lips.


Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."


You should meet my sister-in-law and her husband, Gary. You should talk with them. You should see God in their eyes, the Spirit in each word spoken, and His grace that has been incredibly sufficient in their lives.

After talking with so many individuals trying to place themselves in Gary, Rushteen, and so many other's shoes throughout this week, the sureness of my faith and the certainty of what I cannot see, yet completely trust, has risen to new heights. Not of themselves. There is no way one could handle such a loss, such unfairness. Its humanly impossible. Christ is so evident in moments like now. He's so clear to hold you, raise you above, and strengthen you in supernatural ways. Gary & Rushteen have been strong. I'm sure if you ever would get to talk to them, they would tell you just how they can be. "Only with God." I'm so thankful for the hope of my heavenly home, the strength of an ever-loving God, and His promise to never leave us alone.


I'm thankful he hears big prayers and little (seemingly stupid) ones. Like playing piano for the first time since Annabelle's birth at church this morning, and so badly needing to. Like that song that was chosen this morning, and so terribly needing to sing it. Silly things like a free microwave being given to us and FINALLY finding Annabelle a cute winter coat. Great things like watching a father who lost his only son worship, with his whole heart, a Father who gave His only Son so he could live. Sometimes I just feel so undone at the greatness of Christ.


On a separate note, here is Annabelle in her brand new winter coat. (How could I not post another picture of her? She is one of the "great things" to be thankful for, after all.)

Heather Dowling at 3:40 PM

3comments

3 Comments

at 2:24 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

I love you

 
at 9:38 AM Blogger mrsdmf72205 said...

I'm so sorry to hear how rough your week was last week. I'm also very sorry to hear about your dad losing his job...that's devastating news, but I have faith that something bigger and better is right around the corner for him! Our God is too great to just leave him hanging! We'll be praying for you all!

 
at 8:27 PM Blogger brietta said...

I would love to send you a Christmas card, but I don't seem to have your address-- and a glance in the phone book tells me there is definitely more than one Rushton Dowling in Harrisville! :) When you get a minute, could you send me your address?

P.S. I have been praying for you. I know His peace truly does surpass understanding, and I know it has been and will continue to be yours.

 

Post a Comment