Tuesday, January 08, 2008

thoughts.

Annabelle and I took a walk this afternoon. Her first walk around this sleepy little town. While I never thought her first one would be in January, I'm not complaining. She enjoyed it thoroughly - watching every little detail around her. Content to just sit and ponder- not making a sound. Now she's dozed off after such an adventure. A shocking 60 degree day, like today, is a little gift to get us all through winter.

I'm super happy with how the interior of our home is coming along cosmetically. When we first looked at this house back in the summer of '06, I remember leaving with a big "no" directed at my husband's hopeful eyes. Now, you'd never guess you're walking through the same rooms I'd vehemently denied. We have a cute house. I have a talented husband.

I miss my family. After Annabelle's dedication, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years have passed without a glimpse of my parents and younger siblings, the sting of their absence from our lives hurts a little more this year. My mom and I are now counting down the weeks until this little family lands itself in North Carolina, for Easter, for 9 whole days. Can you imagine my excitement and lack of patience???

I feel a bit stale, as of late. Like the leftovers in my refrigerator that so badly need to be thrown away. Like my attitude needs new freshness. Like my presence at Church needs new vision. Like my purpose in this home needs to be examined for the benefit of this family. I'm quick to pull out my pity-party-hat and complain of my lack of friends, lack of other stay-at-home-mom companions, lack of my Titus 2 women to show me the way, and lack of opportunity to be everything God desires of me. Then... John 10:14 "I am the Good Shepherd, I KNOW my sheep and my sheep know me..." That's right. God knows my needs. I know Him. I ought to know better. Though I feel stale, God brings the freshness, the newness. A walk with my sweet girl. A late-night, God-filled conversation with my favorite guy. A verse to calm my silly mortal mind. So, instead of staying stale, becoming rotten, I've got some house cleaning to do in my empty heart. I think that is just where He wants me this New Year.

Heather Dowling at 2:25 PM

3comments

3 Comments

at 4:13 PM Blogger Stacy said...

Hey I know W'town isn't exactly close but I know of a GREAT MOMS Club there ;) They do a ton of activities!

 
at 7:42 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great post, especially the last part. So true. As we remain in Him, He will cause us to prosper. Period. He knows our needs and will never fail to meet them.

Thanks for the reminder.

 
at 11:11 AM Blogger Linda said...

Excellent post, Heather!

 

Post a Comment