Thursday, October 02, 2008

a little prayer for a little more patience

A yellow toy spoon found no where near a little toy kitchen.
Packing a little book or two for a day out tomorrow.
Hair ties and bows in bathrooms and bedrooms.
My living room slowly turning into more of a playroom.
Puzzles, baby dolls, blocks, diapers, and tiny shoes.

Just some of the little reminders of the little girl who occupies my days with me and fills our evenings with laughter and sweetness. Just some of the little reminders of the goodness of God in our life. Oh Lord, may I never complain while picking up those toy cups over and over, and reading that same book for the eighth time in a row. May I always count it a joy when she wants me, just to want me, for no other reason than love... even if the phone is ringing and that pot is boiling over. May I remain strong in keeping God before me in all her little ears hear from me and all my lips and hands teach her growing mind. Oh Lord, grant me patience for the big job ahead of me.

Today was a real"mom" day for me. You know, the one that challenged your patience beyond some kind of "normal", and the one you feel you've failed miserably at. Yeah. Maybe it was just a "human" day for me.

A small burst of sunshine this afternoon drew us outdoors in hats and coats to crunch some leaves. As Annabelle walked (yes, she's walking) up and down the driveway, picking up beautiful leaves only to let them fall, she found one small leaf to claim as her own. Not only was this leaf small, but it was pretty pitiful looking. It wasn't colorful and wasn't beautiful, but her little hands wouldn't let go... all the way in to the house. Later looking at that sad leaf on the counter I couldn't help but think of the way the Lord looked at me today. Yes, in moments I'm sure I looked quite pitiful and my color for life had been pushed away in the heat of selfishness. Yet, he chose me. He grabbed me today, in the midst of a windy, rainy, and cold day in my heart. While I'm sure he could have chose to care less about this ridiculous looking one, instead his eyes fell on me.

I love that even though I feel undone, I've never been more put together, through brokenness, in Christ.

Heather Dowling at 8:57 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 1:34 PM Blogger mrsdmf72205 said...

Wow! What an awesome reminder! It's amazing the lessons that come forth through our little ones! I pray the same as you...for patience in raising them to be children of God and for an ever-thankful heart that God has chosen me to raise up these children. After all, without them, where would we be???

Thanks so much for sharing!:-)

 
at 3:18 PM Blogger Rose of the Hill said...

Oh my goodness she is walking! Oh how i wish i was there!

Love you

 
at 10:58 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great way to express a precious truth. Thanks.

 
at 7:16 AM Blogger Mom2Zoey said...

Amazing! I am sooo guilty of getting frustrated and angry over silly things. I do try to take a breathe and remember they are gifts given to me and I need to cherish them and my time with them. Thanks ~A

 

Post a Comment